Tiny home living has become more than just a trend, it’s become a way of life for many people. And those who have chosen to downsize and live with less know the importance of maximizing space and being creative with the limitations of their small square footage.
While it may not seem like those of us who enjoy our wide open spaces can learn much from tiny-home dwellers, there are actually quite a few lessons we can adopt from their lifestyle to maintain order in ours.
Tiny Home Hacks
Whether you live in a city loft, a modern farmhouse in the suburbs or a small cottage next to the beach, these tiny home organizing tricks can bring more order and simplicity to your life and space without too much effort.
The kitchen is the heart of the home so it’s important that it functions well. But with so many appliances and gadgets to help you create tasty meals, it can easily become a cluttered space. Take a cue from tiny home dwellers and consider these kitchen options for serving up breakfast, lunch, and dinner:
- Instant Pot – With 9-in-1 functionality – it’s a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan, sous vide, sterilizer and food warmer rolled into one – an Instant Pot is the leading multi-purpose appliance and a great space saver in tiny home kitchens. Even if you don’t have a small kitchen, an Instant Pot can reduce the number of appliances you need which will cut down on the clutter in your pantries and cabinets. Reasonably priced and versatile, you’ll definitely want to add an Instant Pot to your wish list!
2. Air Fryer – No stove? No problem! An air fryer is another tiny home must-have that can take the sting out of not having a full-sized stove or oven. With the capability to crisp, roast, reheat and dehydrate an air fryer makes quick and easy meals that will taste as if they were created in a state-of-the-art kitchen! Add in the healthy benefits that using an air fryer offers, you’ll be glad you made the switch.
Tiny home builders have found ways to keep the comforts of large-size living in a small space, especially with creative furniture designs that not only offer style but practicality as well.
1. Murphy bed. A Murphy bed is one of the best save-spacing bedroom pieces of furniture on the market today. Much like trundle beds, these vertically stored beds are popular where floor space is limited. In recent years, Murphy bed units have included options such as lighting, storage cabinets, and office components to offer even more versatility and allow rooms to function with dual purposes (think, office and guest room).
2. Innovative Coffee Table. Living rooms can serve more than one function so it only makes sense to have furniture in that space that also does double duty. One idea is to purchase a coffee table with a liftable lid. The table top surface can act as a dining table or an office desk, while the storage underneath can house laptops, remote controls, books/magazines, or hide cords and other small items. And not only will it help maintain order, but it will definitely be a conversational piece when guests come over!
Living small doesn’t mean it has to feel small. Here are a few decor ideas you might want to try to make any space in your home feel bigger.
- Mirrors. Mirrors can make your room look larger and more open. Use a focal point and angle your mirrors toward it to give the illusion of depth. Whether it’s a wall of mirrors or simply one, the illusion mirrors offers to make a space look bigger is one of the most economical design tricks you’ll find.
2. Dividers. Room dividers are a great way to break up your space and can also double as décor. Your options can include folding dividers, curtains, large bookcases and more. Not only does a divider give off a vibe that a room is larger than it really is, it’s also a great way to corral clutter and offers privacy in small and open spaces alike.
Regardless of what type or size of house you may live in, tiny home hacks can make everyday living more orderly and simpler. With furniture and appliances that save space and offer extreme functionality, you can’t go wrong with a tiny home lifestyle mentality!
Which of these tiny home hacks will you use in your home today? How will it make a difference?