Twenty-eight years ago, when I became a mom for the first time, baby products were nothing like they are today! In 1995, we didn’t have smartphones, social media or Amazon Prime to make life easier for a new mother. Nope, I had to roll with the hand I was dealt and do the best I could. But oh, how today’s technology would have been a game-changer for me back then!
Over the years, as I’ve observed younger women preparing for motherhood, I’ve been amazed at the advancements in baby products. It’s incredible how much they’ve evolved and, more importantly, improved! Although it makes me envious at times, I’m thrilled that these products exist as they offer parents more time to bond with their little ones while ensuring their safety.
Although I am way past my child-bearing years and I don’t have any grandchildren (yet!), I have friends and family members who do have babies that have discovered some items that I definitely wish I would have had and which should be on every new mothers must-have list.
5 Must-Have Baby Products
- Video baby monitor. Back in my day, baby monitors were just audio. If you wanted to see what your baby was up to, you had to physically check on them. But with modern video baby monitors, you can see and hear your baby from anywhere in the house. Plus, some models even come with night vision and two-way audio, so you can talk to your baby or soothe them without having to leave your bed. Pure joy!
- Smart bassinet. Twenty-five years ago, a basic bassinet was all we had to keep our babies safe and comfortable while they slept. But now, we have smart bassinets that can monitor your baby’s breathing, track their sleep patterns and even soothe them with gentle vibrations and white noise. Some models even come with a built-in camera and Wi-Fi connectivity, so you can keep an eye on your baby from your smartphone. Talk about heavenly sleep – for mom and baby both!
- Travel system stroller. A travel system stroller is a versatile and convenient option that includes a stroller and a car seat that can be used together. This allows parents to easily transfer their baby from the car to the stroller without disturbing their sleep. Some popular travel system stroller brands include Graco, Chicco and Britax. Highly rated for their ease of use and comfort, The Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System and the Britax B-Lively Travel System make both baby and parent happy.
- Baby wrap carrier. While baby carriers have been around for centuries, the modern-day baby wrap carrier has really revolutionized the way we carry our babies. These carriers are made from soft, stretchy fabric that hugs your baby’s body and keeps them close to you. They’re perfect for hands-free bonding and can be used from birth until your baby is around 18 months old. A perfect product for an organized, multi-tasking mom!
Mealtime Made Easy
- Baby food maker. Making your own baby food was always an option, but it was a lot of work. If I wanted to make fresh baby food for my daughters, I had to use a blender or food processor. Now, we have baby food makers that make the process a lot easier and more efficient. These devices steam, blend and puree fruits and vegetables in just a few minutes, making it easy to provide healthy, homemade food for your baby. That’s healthy eating!
While I can’t go back in time, I can certainly appreciate the convenience and innovation of these products. As always, remember to do your research and choose the products that work best for you and your baby. Happy parenting!
What modern baby products do you consider must-haves for mothers?